Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Our troubles are all the same"

I love routine.  Change makes me nervous.  I never understood the people who love new things.  I don't get people who complain that they are in a rut.   I LOVE being in a rut.  Ruts are safe.  I'm a friendly person, but I can't grasp the need to meet new people. 
If I was on a TV show, I'd be on Cheers.  I'd be at a bar where everybody knows my name every night.  I'd sit at the bar with the same people and have the same drink.  And I'd have fun.
My Dad and I have the same running jokes for years now.  Tell him your back hurts and he will always answer the same way- "When did you get it?".  The correct response is "Oh..about a week back"(this is when you laugh out loud).  
I have watched repeats of Seinfeld and Friends a lot!
Like I said, rut is great!
So when my parents' said, "We're moving to Israel", it wasn't the happiest day of my life.  I didn't know the people, I didn't know the country, and I didn't know the language.  How was I supposed to survive in this strange place?
Luckily my parents' picked the one country where everybody knows your name.  If they don't know your name, then they know somebody who knows your name.  I found a bar where I walk in and people yell out "SAM"(well, pretty close).  There's a channel that runs reruns of Seinfeld and Friends.  And when all the seasons end, the next episode will be the first episode ever. 
I can live here no problem.  These people love rut too.  If we're not in a rut that means there is a war, and who wants that?  

1 comment: