Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Family Ties


I was reading my Mom's blog (yes Mom, I really do read your blog): "Coming of Age..again" (comingofageagain.blogspot.com).  She talked about weeding out the old clothes in her closest and that got me thinking about the different things I get from both my parents.
First of all, my Mom blogged about her ability to go through her closet and get rid of clothes.  This is an ability that I don't have.  Now, if you go through my Dad's closet you'll find..well..everything he's ever worn. It may not fit anymore, it may have many many holes, it may be from before I was born- but you can't throw it away, what if he NEEDS it sometime in the future.  To people like us, EVERYTHING is sentimental.   Everything reminds us of something.  And maybe I haven't worn this since last year, but I might wear it tomorrow.
I cry at everything.  My boyfriend knows me well enough by now, but he's still surprised at how much I cry. I love chic flicks, because there is always a chance to cry.  I am the typical girl when it comes to tearing up.  My Dad doesn't even have to look at my mom and me when he hands us the tissues.
I can balance a spoon on my nose.  It was my Uncle's thing- on my Dad's side.  It may not seem like much to you, but it was great entertainment for my co-workers at the bar that I work at. 
I forget where I put things.  I used to laugh at my Mom when it happened to her.  When I would find the ice cream in the fridge or the milk in the freezer, I would shake my head and think "oh mom".  Then I started doing it too.  My keys would stay all night in the lock on the outside of the door.  I once misplaced my glasses and found them in the refrigerator. 
I love this country.  I'm happy here.  I have great friends, I have a great job, I love being able to speak Hebrew, and I love the view that you have almost everywhere.  This, I get from both my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment