Tuesday, August 7, 2012


I love books. 
My Parents have a Kindle.  They have fallen in love with it.  They even almost convinced me to get one ASAP.  It actually makes more sense here in Israel.  The book stores here aren’t over flowing with English books(the only kind that I read) and the books that they do have are pretty expensive.  With a Kindle you can have that book you’ve heard about in a matter of seconds.
 
Except, Kindles don’t look as good as books on bookshelves.  In fact, you don’t really need bookshelves for a Kindle.  I love my bookshelves.  I love the way all my books look on my shelves.  I had recently bought this very pretty bamboo straw bookshelf.  What makes it even better are the different sized and different colored books from my favorite authors.  When I run out of new books to read I just go to my trusted shelves.  I skim over the different spines and pick a book I’ve read already and fall in love with it all over again (one of the many reasons I’ve read Lamb 4 times).

Kindles don’t use all your senses.  New books are my favorite.  They have a new book smell.  The pages aren’t creased yet and the spine is still straight.  They don’t have little animal bites on them(my bulldog loved books too).  They’re pretty.  New books feel new.  The pages turn easily and they’re still soft.  When you turn another page on your book because you can’t put it down and go to sleep(even if you have to get up early in the morning) you hear a page turning(instead of a click).  New books will make me turn off the tv and get lost in a world where my imagination can run wild.  If the book is awesome, I won’t put it down (not even for coffee or a meal).

You can’t get a Kindle signed.  The best anniversary gift that I got my parents is a signed copy of Lamb by Christopher Moore.  When the book got here, I was so excited I thought I was going to burst.  I’m not good at keeping secrets from my parents(why I’m a Warady), so the day it came was the day that I called my sister 3 times to figure out when we are going to give it to them.  When I did finally give them their present, they loved it.  The book was beautiful and the fact that it was signed made it amazing. This was the best anniversary present we could have gotten for my parents, and it couldn’t have happened with a Kindle.

You don’t have to go to a book store every time you want to buy a book when you are using a Kindle.  I LOVE bookstores.  I can spend a lot of time at a bookstore in Israel, and they don’t even have a great selection.  Not compared to the States at least.  I can spend the afternoon in a bookstore in the States. Wandering the aisles, trying to decide what book I want to read next.  Discovering new authors and making sure I didn’t miss any new books from my favorite authors.  The smell of bookstores.  They smell like coffee all over the world.  Coffee and new books. I LOVE bookstores.

Bookstores, books in general are becoming extinct.  I love technology(I’m in love with my Iphone), but books should be here to stay.  I understand Kindles.  But I will buy books at bookstores till there are no more or nowhere to buy more.  Books(with actual pages to turn) are always going to be more awesome then a Kindle.  Always.

1 comment: