Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My first experience on J-Date was not awesome.  A boy sent me a message on the site.  I looked at his profile, and decided-why not?  Sure, his profile was a little wordy(maybe that should have been a warning sign), but I decided (or probably more accurate, my friends lectured me that I need to stop being a "Seinfeld" episode) that I'll go out with him.
After a couple of short messages he asked for my number.  A few seconds later, he called.
It was the longest hour and 20 min.(but who's counting) of my life!
Yes, that's right, ONE HOUR AND 20 MIN.!!
During the longest conversation of my life, this boy asked me three times if I REALLY wanted to go out on Friday(I'm pretty sure that the first time I said yes should have been a clue to that question).  Told me about what an awesome boyfriend he is with examples from past relationships.  And managed to make me uncomfortable when he told me about his sick mother and dead father.  When people over share, especially ones I haven't even seen in person- I have no idea how to react.  The only thing that popped into my head is- "Maybe my Mom is your Mom's nurse!"  Yep...that's the best I could do.
During the phone call from hell, I was trying very hard to not go Seinfeld on certain things-even when asked if I would hug him when I saw him(for the first time).  To which I replied- No. I don't know you.  I hug people I know.  To which he thought appropriate to say "Oh, so you are a cold person".  Even then! I gave him another chance.  I explained that once he gets to know me, he'll realize how untrue that is.
Then everything took a turn for the worst(yes, even more.).  After the 50th time he told me to be more open and talk more(I don't think he realizes that for that to happen- he has to stop talking!!!)  I told him that was not going to happen.  With patience and time, I open up, and there's nothing he can do to change that.  
But it's ok, because he doesn't want to change me, he wants to make me better!
HA!
I told him that after 28 years, I feel really good about myself.  And I'm pretty awesome.  After about 2 minutes of back and forth I realized that I'm arguing with somebody I don't know!  We even started arguing about whether or not we are arguing(I'm pretty sure that when you start raising your voice..you are arguing!).
Needless to say-we did not go out that Friday.
Although the first on-line dating experience was not awesome at least I learned something.  ALWAYS talk with guy on the phone before going on a date with him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment